For those of you who don't use a bread machine to mix the dough, here are the very simple instructions for making Kelly's Whole Wheat and Oat Bread by hand.
1. Pour boiling water over oats in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes or until just warm.
2. Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
3. To oat/water mixture, add salt, honey, and oil. Stir in yeast mixture.
4. Add whole wheat flour, 1 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms and you can turn it out onto a floured board or counter and knead 8–10 minutes.
5. Place in an oiled bowl, turning to oil the top, and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or so.
6. Punch down and form into loaves. Place in greased 8x4-inch pans and let rise 25 minutes.
7. Bake at 350°F about 30 minutes.
Enjoy! This bread is amazing fresh out of the oven, good for sandwiches, and makes great toast.
Be thankful ~