Thursday, April 14, 2011

By-hand directions for the bread.

For those of you who don't use a bread machine to mix the dough, here are the very simple instructions for making Kelly's Whole Wheat and Oat Bread by hand.

1. Pour boiling water over oats in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes or until just warm.
2. Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
3. To oat/water mixture, add salt, honey, and oil. Stir in yeast mixture.
4. Add whole wheat flour, 1 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms and you can turn it out onto a floured board or counter and knead 8–10 minutes.
5. Place in an oiled bowl, turning to oil the top, and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or so.
6. Punch down and form into loaves. Place in greased 8x4-inch pans and let rise 25 minutes.
7. Bake at 350°F about 30 minutes.

Enjoy! This bread is amazing fresh out of the oven, good for sandwiches, and makes great toast.

Be thankful ~

Karen

2 comments:

The Bailey Family said...

I made it by hand yesterday...I added 2 eggs and made "buns" because my family would rather have "buns" than loaf bread...they turned out wonderful!!! I will make them again, soon I guess, since my children are eating them right now for snack and there probably won't be any left for lunch! THANKS KAREN!!!!

I live IN Jesus said...

Thank you, Karen!!!! :) I need to try this recipe out, but have to wait until I have been eating properly for a couple of weeks....I've packed on a couple of pounds and let's not be ridiculous, when there is homemade bread I WILL be the one eating it!!!

Sarah

P.S. I know that that last sentence is probably a run-on, but you will have to have mercy on me!! ;)