Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Weekend recap.

I started out all gung-ho yesterday to do a weekend recap and wound up waxing nostalgic about my babies-turned-adults and it spiraled downward rather quickly, didn't it?
(By the way, the origin of the expression "gung-ho" can be found here, and now I find out it doesn't mean nearly what I thought it did. Who knew? But I'm using it anyway, thank-you-very-much.)

So back to the weekend.

We were supposed to go hiking on Saturday with our Sunday school class, but by 9:30 Friday night the government still couldn't agree on a budget and we were afraid we'd drive two hours to a national park and it would be closed, so we canceled at the last minute. In the spirit of adventure, I decided to use my Saturday morning to go grocery shopping, which is always a happening time at the commissary on a weekend what with all the young children who've waited all week to be trapped in a buggy traveling very slowly up and down aisles of tomato sauce and carpet shampoo.

I spent the rest of the day doing laundry, working a little, and generally lying around being lazy. It was lovely.

On Sunday a good friend came to teach our Sunday school class all the way from Washington State and even brought props.


Can you guess what we're supposed to be?

Then I left right after church to meet Abbie in Richmond. As I said yesterday (come on, you know you want to hear it again), we had lunch, got our toenails done, and did a little shopping. My happy moment of the day came when I was trying on denim skirts. I grabbed a size 8 because that's what I always wear, and Abbie gave me a 6 "just in case." When I put the 6 on and it was loose, I was stunned and Abbie said, "Mom, you are so tiny!"

Now that is a word I would never have used to describe myself, but I'm willing to take a pat on the back from girlfriend in this case.

Here's what I wound up with.


I'm always suspicious when I fit in a size that's smaller than I usually wear. You KNOW they change the sizes to make us feel good, right? But in this case I'll take it.

I got home in time to have perfect fried eggs cooked by my beloved (he cooks for me every Sunday night), have a hot bath, and get in bed with the ceiling fan and A/C on, my favorite way to sleep.

Monday morning I got the estimate to fix the Taurus: $850. My weekend of car-trouble denial was nice, but I'm back in reality now, where even a size four skirt doesn't get you down the highway. How much time until next weekend?

Be thankful ~

Karen

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Size 4! Well done you!

Mouga would be proud (and envious, given the picture that we have of her).