Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chocolate Banana Muffins and the Mixing Bowl.

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to . . . cry if I want to . . . cry if I want to . . .

Raise your hand if you just sang that with me.

I was four years old when that was a hit, and though it's not my party, it is my birthday, so in honor of myself, I got up early this morning and made these amazing muffins. Just because I wanted them. I had visions of enjoying a hot muffin on the deck in this lovely fall weather with my mug of coffee. I saw myself reveling in the wonder of my 51 years on this planet, thinking back fondly on all I've accomplished, and dreaming of what is still to come.

But real life had other plans. Garmins die, and daughters are stranded in the Mixing Bowl of the Capital Beltway. And if you think that's not really a place, here's an actual, unretouched aerial view of the Mixing Bowl:

 

Anyone who lives here knows the fear that grips your guts when you get in the 395 lane when you're trying to go toward Tysons Corner. It could take you half a day to get back. There are no U-turns and cars and trucks are racing past you, dodging and darting at 80+ miles per hour. Or you're on Backlick and suddenly it turns into Franconia Drive and you're being funneled into the Metro Kiss-and-Ride lot and you never saw it happen. I know people who have lived here for years who still don't know that the inner loop travels clockwise and the outer loop goes counterclockwise. It's such a jumbled mess of high-speed traffic it creates its own force field. And people wonder what's wrong with Washington. 

Anyway, it's quite intimidating for the directionally challenged. So I enjoyed my muffin and coffee while jumping back and forth through three computer screens, all of which had different Google maps open on them, and we finally got her to her destination. I have no idea how she's getting out of there.

Back to the muffins. I wanted to share this recipe, which I stole from my daughter's website, Wholesome Homemaker. If you make these, your people will love you, I promise.

Start with this stuff in a bowl


Then do this


to two of these


and stir them up with this


Pour it into the first stuff


and do this


just until it looks like this


Do this


and end up with these!


Aren't you glad I shared this? You can get the particulars here. Now get your coffee ready!

Be thankful ~

No comments: