Thursday, July 12, 2012

Meet my friend, Spidey.

If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram, you've already been grossed out by my friend, Spidey. When I opened the curtains covering my french doors this morning, there he was, just hanging out. So what does a good blogger do? Grab the phone and start taking pictures. Unfortunately, the phone doesn't know what to focus on, and it kept getting the trees in the distance nice and sharp and leaving Spidey all blurry. Sorry for those of you who suffer with Instagram photos.

Then I realized that I have at my disposal a picture-taking device that is of slightly higher quality than my cell phone, so I quickly got the camera and switched to manual focus. Even at that, it took me a few tries to get a decent one, and all the while, Spidey just hung there, swaying in the breeze. (From head to spinnerets, Spidey is about an inch. With legs, I'm guessing 3 1/2.)


I thought he was dead but wasn't willing to go outside to confirm. So I snapped my photos and went back to work. A while later, Ben came in and saw him hanging there. Not one to let well enough alone, especially when there's a man-eating spider involved, he opened the door and stepped out. 
 

First he tapped Spidey on the back. Nothing. Then he wound up and gave him a good biff. Apparently Spidey was way out in dreamland, because it took him a few seconds to start stretching his legs and acting perturbed. Ben grabbed Spidey's hanging line and flipped him toward the edge of the deck, shoving him off the rest of the way with his bare foot.

So where are the pictures of that part, you ask? Ha ha! I'm smarter than that. I stayed at my desk on the other side of the glass until Spidey was safely in the woods off the edge of the deck.

In other news, Ben had his biceps tendon reattached yesterday (which is why he's hanging around the house playing with spiders) and is in a splint and sling until the 26th. He wants to be independent and doesn't want me helping him with every little thing, so I've agreed not to help unless he asks for it. Do you know how painful it is to watch someone try to unwrap a Little Debby snack with one hand without mangling it? This is going to be a long two weeks.

I hope Spidey warns his friends.

Be thankful ~

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Your spidey looks eerily similar to the visitor we have had at our front door on a few occasions. It was quite a shock....coming from Minnesota where there are not a lot of big spiders...to Georgia...where there are a lot of giant man-eating spiders with long hairy legs! Glad Ben was home to save you from its sleepy clutches! I hope his Little Debby cake survived the smushing.