Thursday, June 7, 2012

The wireless saga continues.

Today's story actually starts last night.

Yesterday evening, we discovered that we had no wireless signal again. The main computer (the one hard-wired to the modem and router) was getting the Internet, but none of the laptops in the house could pick up the wi-fi. (Leah calls this a first-world problem.) We've had our share of Internet issues lately, so we figured it was connected to those, and I made plans to go back to Best Buy and pick up the router that I returned just four days ago.

This morning I got up at 5:15 to send my two still-at-home daughters off on their road trip to Florida, because 22- and 24-year-old women still need their mommy to remind them to drive carefully and ask if they've remembered their phone chargers. After they left, I debated going back to bed, but decided the birds were unusually loud and I wouldn't be able to sleep, so I finished off the pot of coffee I made for them and sat down with my computer. I pulled out the long ethernet cable that Ben uses when he's home, plugged the ole Mac up, and enjoyed an hour of surfing, reading, and answering email. Then on a whim, I unplugged it to see what would happen.

It now has a wireless signal. I know it's ours, because I checked and because it's faster than when we pirate the neighbor's, which we did last time this happened. So I called on my vast body of IT knowledge to came to this conclusion: my router is possessed.

At this moment it is showing its Dr. Jekyll side. Later we may see Mr. Hyde, but we'll cross that technological bridge when we come to it. In the meantime, we're enjoying life.

Now it's clean-up-the-kitchen-go-to-the-gym-and-run-errands time. Enjoy your Thursday!

Be thankful ~

No comments: