Saturday, December 31, 2011

The annual New Year's post.

At least I think it's annual. I just don't feel like going back to look.

If I could say one thing to 2011, it would be this: Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

While there were some fun highlights, it was a rough year for us health-wise. Ben went through a colectomy in May, lived with the colostomy for 7 months, and finally had it reversed (snap & cap, as he calls it) just a few weeks ago. He's finally feeling normal again, and looking forward to getting back in the gym.

Our second grandson, Button, was born. Abbie got her truck. My 21-year career as a homeschool mom came to an end. I started running. We gave away the Rib-mobile. We experienced our first big earthquake and responded with typical eastern panic. We met Henry, our neighborhood bear. I discovered Georgetown Cupcakes. Turned 50. The Man-mobile got a motor.

It wasn't a bad year, just not the best one we've ever had.

So I'm looking forward to regaining the positive momentum in 2012. And since I'm nothing if not a glutton for punishment, I'm going to put my goals for the coming year right out there in the very public blogosphere.

1. I'm going to read through the New Testament (and parts of the Old), concentrating on the red parts (the words of Christ while he was on earth), and doing a study of every verse that refers to the Word of God. Last year I read through the whole Bible, and while I never regret doing that, I just want to concentrate on a theme this year.

2. I'm going to run a half-marathon. And then I'm going back to running the way I really enjoy it: five or six miles at a time. Maybe find a 10K or two. I'd like to run a 5K in 30 minutes.

3. I'm going to publish my favorite photo I take every week at Darcy's P52. I'm starting the year with a new lens, so I have no excuse not to keep up with this. Really. Hold me to it.

4. I'm going to complain about the dog hair less and love the dog more. This may be the hardest one.

Here's to a clean slate, a new year full of opportunity, and 366 days in which to

Be thankful ~

2 comments:

Eleanor Joyce said...

Great post! Best to you in 2012. I'll make sure the door doesn't hit me on the way out.

Catherine said...

I like this. And I love you, my cousin!