Sunday, October 2, 2011

Weekend wrap-up.

I think I have sufficiently recovered from my college weekend to share a couple of photos. The main reason Man-squared and I went down was because Abbie had tickets to see Oklahoma!, which was fantastic. The girl who played Ado Annie was the best I've ever seen, even better than in the original movie—so much so that I was still humming "I'm just a girl who cain't say no . . . " in Sunday school this morning, and that's not exactly appropriate.

But another reason for our visit was to see Abbie's first sculpture, which was supposed to be on display. Unfortunately, because Michele Bachmann was visiting campus, the display was postponed until Monday. I'm not sure what Ms. Bachmann had to do with life-sized packing tape sculptures, but that was the official word.

We did get to go into the depths of the art department to see Abbie's work though. Do you see the iPod on the guy's lap? I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo, but it's full of garbage. And so are his head and his heart. Garbage in, garbage out. Of all the sculptures I saw, hers was the one with real meaning. And it's not like I'm biased or anything.


The artist with her work:


Abbie took us to a cool place called The Farm Basket, which is a little gift store and sandwich place where all the food is organic. There's a cool little veranda overlooking a backyard with big trees and a little stream where you can sit and eat.


And of course there was the spaghetti dinner for 20 in a tiny apartment. Cooked on a miniature 3-burner stove in itty-bitty pots.


Marly and Erin danced for us, as well as Kim and Abbie. And if I were any kind of photographer, I would have pictures to show for it, but they're all blurry so I'll spare you.

This afternoon I'm paying bills and doing laundry and trying to talk myself into running in the morning, so far with little success. Hope your weekend was happy.

Be thankful ~

No comments: