Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Weekend recap.

It's been a busy few days around here.

Last Friday I drove to New Jersey for my niece's bridal shower. What should have been a five hour drive took me seven due to the normal block party on the Capital Beltway, the five-mile-per-hour crawl through the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore, the rain delay in Delaware (everyone knows you can't drive over 15 when it's raining, right?), and the construction-induced traffic constipation on the New Jersey Turnpike. When I finally got to my sister-in-law's house, we all hugged and the bride-to-be immediately said, "Okay, can we order the pizza?"

I've said before that one of my favorite parts of going home (to New Jersey) is the food, which always begins with Vesuvio's pizza. So I had my fill of that and good company that I don't get to see very often.

Then Saturday morning before I was even out of bed, my sweet niece was standing in line at our favorite bakery getting the best crumb cake in the world.


Breakfast of champions.


Saturday afternoon was the shower, where I got to see even more family members that I really never get to see.

Here's the bride, beautiful Alexis:


And the all three of my sisters-in-law, Pam, Michelle, and Dawn:


And here was my ride for the weekend. We tooled around on a perfect day in Michelle's Mercedes convertible.



But like all good things, it came to an end and I drove back home Sunday morning. Had a great nap, went to church, and that was the end of the weekend.

Monday morning just happened to be my 50th birthday, so I celebrated by going to the gym and beating Tony in a wall sit. (fuzzy cell phone picture)


My current favorite friend, Patty, made me an incredible carrot cake and sent the WHOLE THING home with me. AND she got me an awesome T-shirt. Front:


and back:



Ben took me to dinner where we shared two pounds of mussels and a couple of steaks PLUS a piece of cheesecake with blackberry sauce (because I needed it) and came home in a food coma.

Then came Tuesday and you already know about that ad nauseam, so I'll skip the narrative on that day.

And that gets us caught up. Hope your weekend was as much fun!

Be thankful ~

3 comments:

Mike said...

Apparently, it really DOES take a natural disaster to make you blog.

Now to figure out how to control the weather, so we can have you blog every day :D

I live IN Jesus said...

Happy late Birthday, Karen!!! May God bless you in the year to come!

Sarah

Michelle Sargent said...

Let me just say, I really enjoyed your company that weekend, and the very fact that we got to be with you! and you with us. . .many heartfelt thanks for your journey!