Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kelly's Whole Wheat/Oatmeal Bread

This bread could also be called The New Crack, because I can't stop ingesting it. It's seriously addicting. Last night I made a batch and three of us (Ben, Man-boy, and I) ate half a loaf for dinner. For the record, Man-boy only ate one slice.

I make the dough in my bread machine because I'm lazy like that. And I also forget to take photos. My ability to plan ahead knows no bounds.

Here's what you do:

Put 3/4 cup oats (I use old-fashioned, not quick) in the machine. Pour 1 3/4 cups boiling water over top and let it sit for about 30 minutes, or until it's just warm.

Then add 3/4 tablespoon salt, 3/8 cup honey, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 4 cups whole wheat flour, and
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast, in that order. Set the machine for the dough and first rise cycle.

When it beeps, punch the dough down and divide in half. Form into loaves and put in greased 8x4-inch bread pans. Let rise a bit and bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.

Get the butter handy.

(This recipe has been cut to fit in my bread machine. Kelly makes huge batches to feed her family of 9. I could make that much, but then I'd eat it.)

Be thankful ~

Karen

1 comment:

I live IN Jesus said...

Karen!!! How do you make it without the machine????? :) THAT is not nice to tease people!!! ;) I have been looking for a recipe with oats and this sounds like the perfect one, providing you CAN make without a bread machine!! :)
Thanks,
Sarah T