Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mid-weekend update.

Some days just don't turn out like you think they will, and yesterday was one of them.

I got up early to get some work done before I went to the gym, and knew that after my Strive class I had to take one of our cars to get a brake caliper fixed. Usually I come right home after the gym and take a shower, but knowing I'd be out for a little while, I took a bag and showered at the gym. That turned out to be a very good thing.

I got to the car place at 11 am armed with my latest book, The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose (more on that in a minute), and had a seat. After finishing the last 100 pages of the book, I realized I hadn't eaten since breakfast, so I walked next door to a gas station and bought a bag of Combos. That's what all the top athletes eat after a workout. I read a magazine. And another one. By this time it was 3 pm and still no word on the car, but it's a busy place, so I was being patient.

Meanwhile, we had company coming for dinner at 6 and the rest of our Sunday school class coming for movie night at 7:30. I started texting Man-boy instructions to clean the bathroom, vacuum the rug, and dust the tables. Then I realized that my great plan for a gluten-free dinner (for the sake of one of our guests) of pot roast with carrots and mashed potatoes was not going to happen, so I started making a new plan—grilled burgers, roasted red potatoes, spinach salad—but that would require stopping at the store on the way home.

By 4:30 I was beginning to panic. It was, after all, Friday in Northern Virginia and that means horrendous traffic. I called Ben and asked him to come get me. We ran through Wal-mart in record time and actually got dinner on the table in 30 minutes. The class all showed up, we watched our movie, ate a LOT of guacamole (that's a 14-inch pasta bowl),


severely burned a bag of microwave popcorn (don't try this at home), and played spoons.



Pete loves the attention.


By the time it was over I was worn out, but it was a good worn out.

Today it's sunny and warm again but windy. I got some work done, got our taxes together, and went for a run (2 miles, 21 minutes). Now we're waiting for the mechanic to call and tell us he's fixed the dumb caliper for good. And the pot roast is in the oven. I'm thinking that's a pretty good weekend so far.

Be thankful ~

Karen

ps. I'll review the book next time.

No comments: