Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thankful we're past THAT stage.

I've been following DeeDee's preparations for THE TALK with her daughters with a bit of a smile on my face. I am happy to say that time of life is behind me, and we all made it successfully to the other side, but not without a few funny stories.

Our girls have always shared a room. We felt they would be closer growing up (and not just in the physical, three-people-crammed-in-one-small-bedroom sense) if they weren't allowed to separate themselves into warring factions, and it turns out we were right. They are as close as three sisters can be. But because I didn't have any sisters, I wasn't aware of how much talking goes on late at night.

One evening when the girls were about 14, 12, and 10, I was walking past their bedroom and heard the talking. Actually, it was more of a heated discussion. So I stuck my head in the door and said, "Y'all be quiet and go to sleep."

Before I could get my head back out, Deb (the oldest and wisest) said, "Mama, isn't it true that babies are made the same way puppies are?"

(Now go wipe the coffee off your monitor.)

That may have been the first time in my life I was truly speechless. Growing up in the country provides you with great illustrations to use in real life, and apparently, my daughter (who had already gotten THE TALK) had some experience with puppies-in-the-making.

So I answered confidently, "Uh, well, um, . . . yes."

After a very long silence, the youngest daughter went, "Eeeewwwwwwwwww!"

I'm letting her keep that opinion as long as I can.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: