Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The random dozen.

I never finished answering all the questions last night, so I'll do it this morning and add a little "attaboy" for Senator-elect Browne of Massachusetts. It's not Kennedy's seat anymore, is it?

And on that happy note, here's the weekly random dozen. Thanks to Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee for the questions each week. If you'd like to participate, go over there and get the questions, answer them, and then link up with Mr. Linky at the end of her post so everyone can read your answers.




1. So I was thinking about how Jon Bon Jovi never seems to age much. His hair is smaller nowadays, but he still manages to look like a boy somehow. And then that made me think of the story of Dorian Gray. Question: If you physically lock in one age for yourself, which would you choose and why?

I'm pretty happy with the age I am right now. I wouldn't want to be a teen again, and while having a young family was fun, I'm enjoying having young adults much more. We're on the downhill side of putting kids through college, and I'm enjoying life. I'll pick 48.

2. What is the best dish that you cook or bake (your piece de resistance?)

I think it's my spaghetti sauce. We'll see what the family says. Family?

3. When you feel blue, what is one strategy you use to help yourself back to normal?

Go for a walk. Or soak in a hot bath. Or read brain candy.

4. When was the last time you danced in public?

You must be kidding. I don't even dance in private. I'm the most uncoordinated person I know.  Ben, on the other hand, was once known as the disco king. He danced on the streets of DC a few years ago when we were listening to the guy play the 5-gallon-bucket drums in front of the Museum of Natural History.

5. Do you consider yourself a realist or dreamer?

I'm a realist. Ben is a dreamer. We balance each other out.

6. As a parent, what is one thing that you have done well?

I have developed very open, talk-friendly relationships with my kids. My daughters in particular tell me everything (at least I think they do).

7. Which is your favorite character on the Andy Griffith show?

Barney. He makes me laugh.

8. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you know about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Probably a 3. I've heard the speech a bunch of times, read a few children's books (even edited one years ago), but that's about it.

9. Have you never been mellow? Have you never tried … to find a comfort from in side you? (Sorry, Jorge was singing that song just now, and it just seemed to be perfect timing as I was creating this week’s questions.) REAL question: What is your #1 driving pet peeve?

Oh, but I have so many! (Remember, I live in the DC suburbs.) At first I thought it would be the dodging-and-darting on the 6-lane-wide Capitol Beltway, but then I thought maybe it was the guy who gets in the left lane and drives 50 in a 70 mph zone, or the lady who puts on mascara while driving in rush hour, but I think I'll settle on the people who read email on their phones while driving. Nothing makes me madder. Yeah, go ahead and endanger all our lives, because your email is just that important.

10. Which color best represents your mood today? Care to elaborate?

Well, I'm wearing the tye-dyed T-shirt Abbie made me. Does that mean I need psychoanalysis?

11. If your spouse were an animal, which would he/she be?

I asked the kids this question and Elijah said a bear. When I asked why, he said, "Because bears look big and mean, and everybody thinks they're mean, but they're just big teddy bears. Just like Dad. Bears are not naturally mean animals."

12. What activity takes up the bulk of your time on an average day?

Work at the computer. I do a lot of other stuff, but no other one activity for four hours.  

And there you have it. Now y'all have a wonderful, 59-41, non-filibuster-proof day.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: