Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Just a few of my disjointed thoughts.

Swine flu is the flu. In case you've never had the flu (the real-deal influenza, not the bad cold that everyone says is the flu), you don't want any kind of it. Panic is not in order here, however. Wash your hands (a lot) and avoid people who are hacking/coughing/sneezing. Same thing I do every year to keep from getting sick.

It's very hot in Virginia (90+ for several days), and I'm thankful for air conditioning. But in case you were wondering, hot flashes can definitely be felt through high heat and humidity.

Every house I've ever owned has odd-sized windows. This one is no exception. All the shades in Lowe's and Home Depot are 48" wide. My windows are 46.

Marvelous.

And, lest I sound all complain-y, my grandbaby should be here sometime in the next few weeks. The due date is now May 5th, and my heart skips a beat every time the phone rings.

(Back to hot flashes now) I've been reading lists of things you can do to help alleviate hot flashes. All the lists agree that you should avoid caffeine and spicy foods and get plenty of exercise.

So now I get no coffee and have to go for 2-mile walks in the 90 degree heat. That'll be fun.

Arlen Specter is switching to the Democrat party. No surprise there. He's been one all along.

I love to hear my kids play their guitars and sing. And I love when my grass is freshly cut. And the peas and spinach are coming up. And I'm healthy enough to go for a 2-mile walk. (Talking myself out of complaining.) And I have a great neighbor who lets me borrow her vacuum every time mine breaks, which is a lot.

OK, now I'm really going for that walk.

Be thankful ~

Karen

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Sadly, I find that hot flashes are made worse by heat and humidity (especially humidity). Come to the West!

Brother Ben said...

Sweetheart. Love of my life. Darling. Please follow one of the following, or both of the below actions.
1)Put the vaccum in the middle of the living room floor so I see it when I arrive home from work. This will go a long way toward it's repair. :-)
2)Put the vacuum in the trash and buy a new one. (Preferred) LU!

Jennifer said...

Goodness... you're just DAYS from that grandbaby's arrival! How exciting. You'd even walk two miles to get there :) Hope you'll share lots of pictures!

And, yes - its HOT in Virginia...but I love it!

Eleanor Joyce said...

Great visiting and catching up with you. It's been hot in PA too, and I'm doing the hot flashes right along with you! Loved the shower pictures--got a question. It's been 12 years since I had a baby. What exactly is a birthing ball? Does one sit on that and bounce during labor? Is it a gravity-assisted concept? Just trying to wrap my admittedly aging brain around that. Love the crib--it's beautiful, and what a neat idea.
Finally, as far as Ole' Arlen, good riddance to that RINO. No tears in PA about that!
Eleanor

Unknown said...

Drink all the caffeine you want, it makes no difference. I don't drink caffiene and I have hot flashes all the time.