Monday, May 12, 2008

My resume - an old post revisited.

I was talking to my mom on the phone the other day, and somehow we got into a conversation about where Ben and I might live after our children are grown and gone. I mentioned that Ben has said he would love to live in a university town as there's so much to do, and he loves going to school. So she said, "With all your credentials, they would scarf you right up (meaning for a job)."
So I've been wondering, what credentials? I have a degree in finance that I've never spent a day actually using. I've home schooled five children from birth to high school graduation and beyond. Those that have wanted to so far have been accepted into the colleges of their choice, and before they would have been had they been in public school. They are successful in their college careers, and one recently graduated.

That got me thinking, how would I put all this on a resume? And that reminded me of the verse that says, "Ye are our epistle, written on our hearts, known and read of all men." Our children are open books that list, for all to see, our failures and successes. Now think about it for a minute - don't you often judge people by their children? That's even scriptural - "A foolish son bringeth his mother to shame." What a weighty matter this is - that we are now, and will be in the future, judged by others based on how our children turn out.

So what did you write on the pages of your children today? Would you be glad for someone to read it? I don't know about you, but that motivates me. Certainly I'd like to have good credentials, but when I hand my resume (my children) to God Almighty, I want to hear Him say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

Be thankful ~

Karen

1 comment:

carrie said...

still workin' on that one. The jury's still out.