Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Breathing IS a necessity. Too bad.

So guess what! It's raining! I know that's hard to believe, but there is liquid coming down in great quantities and the dog won't go out, so I know it's true.

*sigh*

Abbie's pretty disgusted that she couldn't have her wisdom teeth out yesterday. When I called the office yesterday morning to ask about it, I told the receptionist Abbie had a cold, but it wasn't a bad one - she was just a little stuffed up. The girl said, "Hold on and let me ax the doctor." (That is an actual quote.)

She came back a few minutes later and asked if Abbie could breathe through her nose. I told her she could breathe through one side, but the other was stuffed up. She remarked, "Well, that's a 50-50 chance of living."

Oh.

Well, how about next week?

So next week it is, and Abbie is determined to be breathing fully and completely by then.

In the meantime, we made some calls and found a driver's ed school to come get her for her behind-the-wheel training. We arranged for Pete (not the dog, the driving instructor) to come get her this morning at 10 am. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that, months ago, I made a dentist appointment for Abbie to have her regular cleaning. They called Monday to confirm and we promptly forgot about it.

So last night while we were in the kitchen waiting for potatoes to roast, I remembered the conflict of schedules this morning and was weeping and wailing. No gnashing of teeth - it's just not THAT big a deal. I thought we should cancel the driver's ed guy. Abbie wanted to cancel the dentist appointment (imagine that!). She exclaimed, "Mom! I NEED to get my license! I don't NEED. . ."

Mike, piping up from the porch, "TEETH!"

"Yeah!" Abbie chimes in.

I'm definitely outvoted here, so she'll be driving in the rain this morning. With unclean teeth.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: