Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What did you do today?

For those of you who don't know me on facebook, we got the happy call yesterday that our son Mike is back safely in the States. He came in through Bangor, Maine, where a big group of people hang out at the airport (with their dogs even) and greet returning service members. They take photos of them, and then you go to their website to see a photo of your loved one, who invariably looks like he/she has spent the last 20 hours on several airplanes. Mike definitely looked tired, but it was great to see his smile. He was talking to me in this photo:


Someday when I'm old and gray(er), maybe I'll do that too. And rock crack babies in the hospital.

Today I functioned at a high level. I started out by reading 11 chapters in Genesis. When I get to the story of Joseph, I just can't stop in the middle so I keep going. Then checked email, made a pot of spaghetti sauce and cleaned up the kitchen, started laundry; vacuumed, swept, and mopped the wood floors, and vacuumed the rugs. Locked Pete in his box. Then I laid out Mansquared's quilt layers, pinned and stitched, turned it all right-side out, pinned and stitched again, and as I was snipping the last thread, my phone alarm rang to remind me of the tele-meeting I have on Tuesday afternoons. Spent an hour and fifteen minutes brainstorming and laughing uproariously with my co-workers, then hung up and wrote next week's blast for a half hour. Ben came home, I made dinner, cleaned up, and read through the syllabus for my class.

And that brings us to now, which is about twenty minutes before I turn into a pumpkin. Last Sunday, our pastor preached about redeeming the time. I think I did okay today.

Mansquared has one more day at home. Pete is already moping.

Be thankful ~

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Wow! You are definitely redeeming your time wisely. I need a good example to follow because, lately I haven't been doing such a good job at that. I am glad you son is home safely.