Thursday, July 5, 2012

Independence Day with Faith Baptist Church

Last night our church had the annual Fireworks Extravaganza plus dinner and church on the ground (literally). Every year the sons of the founding pastor (who live close to each other on a huge piece of property out in the country) and their families host the biggest shindig on the church calendar. Everyone shows up with food and drinks, Harris makes enough of his famous pulled pork barbecue to feed three or four hundred people, and we make a night of it. This year the near-100° heat threatened to put a damper on things, but there were just as many people there as I've ever seen.

Sweet little Hank was just too hot to play.


Setting up for church out of the back of a Jeep.

The eating was up at Steven's house, then church and the fireworks were down the hill at Carlton's house. 

Our new music director (in the blue shirt) goofing off.


Baby Isabelle, 3 or 4 weeks old.


After church on Carlton's lawn, we had to wait about 45 minutes for it to be dark enough for fireworks. 


The entire place was enveloped in a cloud of bug spray, and since Abbey is allergic and didn't want a case of hives, we went for a walk while we were waiting. We found this old barn, which I had to take a picture of. And in keeping with my mad photography skillz, I cut the peak off. And the sides. Yes, I'm that good.


Finally it was time for fireworks, and just to make sure I wouldn't screw it up, I read Darcy's annual how-to-photograph-fireworks post. I made sure all my camera settings were right and absolutely knew what I was doing.


However, there is no setting for user error, which showed up in every shot. I clicked too soon. I clicked too late.


I moved the camera. I cut off the spray.


Out of 100 pictures of fireworks, these were the only remotely salvageable ones. I have a long way to go.


But as always, Carlton's fireworks display was spectacular, as good as any professional show, and we were reminded throughout the evening how blessed we are to be Americans.

Be thankful ~

No comments: