Sunday, April 22, 2012

Exciting news from South Carolina.

I came to Greenville on Friday to run the Greer Earth Day 10K with my middle daughter, Leah, after spending Thursday and part of Friday with a good friend in Asheville. One of Leah's New Year's resolutions was to run a 10K (6.2 miles), so we signed up a few months ago. Life being what it is for a grad student with three part-time jobs, the longest distance Leah had run was 4 miles, so I told her we would just take our time, take walk breaks, and have fun. I figured I could sort of pull her along and she would be forever grateful that I was there to help her finish.

Oh, I crack myself up.

First of all, I will say that was the longest 6.2 miles I've ever run, but that may be because it was uphill all the way. I was the first one who wanted to stop and walk. I was the one who lagged behind. I was the one who kept a visual leash on "Heather," the girl in front of us with the T-shirt that said "Six Mile Turtles." I made myself an honorary member of her club the minute I saw it, and all through the race I wanted to keep up with her so I could sprint at the end and beat her across the finish line. I thanked her for it later.

Leah and I made it in 1:14:36 and 1:14:39, which is a 12-minute mile. I was a little concerned that I would be last, but I came in 261st out of 290-something people. I wasn't last in my age group and even beat a man. So I guess it was all good. If I run that pace in my half marathon, I'll still finish in under 2:45, so I don't feel too bad about it.

In other exciting news, I bought gas for $3.38 a gallon yesterday. Also, my new favorite word is skeezy, as in "This is a pretty skeezy part of town."

Today we're sitting at Panera enjoying free Wifi because my computer won't hook up to BJU's network. We're going for a walk later to work out yesterday's soreness, and tomorrow I'm going home to rescue my guys from our persnickety oven. I love that they need me.

Less than a month until the half marathon.

Be thankful ~

No comments: