Monday, May 16, 2011

For once, I'm speechless. But not really.

As evidenced by this post, I'm not really speechless, but for a few minutes today, I actually was.

Y'all know I go to the gym and get kicked in the behind pretty regularly by the 19-year-old trainer. Tony is an incredibly fit guy who is currently working on getting his body-fat percentage below 10%, and I'm sure he'll reach that goal by the 28th, the date he set a while back. He's 5' 4" and weighs 155.

But get this: today another lady in the class told me that two years ago Tony weighed 197. Pounds. On a 5' 4" frame. I don't know what motivated him, but he decided he was going to get out from under the negative influences in his life, get himself healthy, and not go back. And he did, at the age of 17.

I looked at Tony and tried to imagine him with another 42 pounds and just couldn't make it work. And then thought about what guts it takes to do what he did at such a young age—in high school, when peer pressure is at its worst. He has more willpower than most adults I know. And then I thought about how much I've complained about trying to lose my measly 14 pounds. I'm shutting up now.

Now, if that doesn't motivate you to quit whining and get working, I don't know what will.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: