Thursday, April 28, 2011

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

You know how every so often you'll be listening to the radio in the car and you hear that long beeeeeep followed by some squawking sound? And then the random radio voice says, "This is a test. For the next 60 seconds, this station will be conducting a test of the emergency broadcast system. This system is used in the event of an emergency to blah, blah, blah."

Well last night for the first time in my 49-year-long life, I actually heard an emergency broadcast!

I wish I could tell you how many times the weather people have gone dark-side about violent thunderstorms capable of producing tornadoes, etc., and we've not seen so much as a stiff breeze. But apparently last night there were actual funnel clouds and major damage. I only know this because after church on Wednesday nights, I take one of our college students back to campus, and then come back to church to get Man-boy.

On my way back to church from campus, I heard the familiar beeeeeeeeep, but then it was followed by the announcement saying the National Weather Service in Sterling, Virginia, had issued a tornado warning for my county, that violent thunderstorms with tornadoes were approaching my very neck of the woods from the southwest, and that we were to take cover immediately in an interior room.

I wondered where the interior room was in my Taurus.

So I hastened me back to the church, where Man-boy and I hung out until the warning expired.

This morning I woke up expecting to find devastation, but the worst I can see is a few extra leaves on the deck and the tarp that blew off the wood pile. Today I'm thankful the weather bubbas were wrong.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: