Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shakespeare had no idea it would come to this.


Yes, this photo I took with my $500 camera and $200 lens is blurry. No, I don't know why. Something about the eighteen focus points in my viewfinder that I can't figure out how to control. A person can only do so much in a day.

It's back to school for us this week. Yesterday we read the last of our Shakespeare plays, Twelfth Night. Now, I've never been a huge fan of Shakespeare, but when I discovered Charles and Mary Lamb's versions,  I knew we had no excuse but to dive in head first. I mean, how would I feel if Man-boy had to go through life not knowing who killed Macbeth? But in true teenage boy fashion, he attempted to remember the various characters by giving them voices. Oberon, king of the fairies had the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger. 

Go ahead, say it with Ahh-nold's accent: "I am Oberon, king of the fairies." In one scene, Oberon sends Puck, his little fairy helper, on some assignment. Puck hesitates when he gets his orders, and Oberon yells, "Do it now!" like in that scene from Predator. Poor William is rolling in his grave.

We're not crazy about the tragedies (Man-boy proclaimed Romeo and Juliet "retarded" and recommended they get a life), but we have actually laughed out loud at a few of the comedies. Ole Will had a thing for mix-ups involving sets of twins, so there have been a few enjoyable moments this semester. Two, I think.

I actually finished Isaiah last night, so I'm thinking I might be a little ahead of schedule. Here's hoping I can scream through Jeremiah, Lamentations, and Ezekiel (figuratively speaking, of course) as quickly.

Have a great day!

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: