Thursday, January 20, 2011

The editor never sleeps.

Remember when I said Ben and I went out to eat Tuesday? It's okay if you don't. I'm here to bore you with the details all over again.

So Tuesday all our kids were gone and we took that golden opportunity to go out for dinner. I was in the mood for a big hunk of beef, so we went to a steakhouse we'd never been to and which I had scored a $25 gift card for months ago and never used. How else would we wind up at Rodango's, home of the 6-foot bar and eight tables and I'm not even exaggerating about its smallness?

As soon as we stepped in we looked at each other over the rims of our no-line bifocals and wondered what we were doing there. If it weren't for that $25 gift card we would have walked out, but thankfully we're made of hardier stock than that.

We were shown to one of the eight tables (we had our choice—the place was empty except for the owner's extended family at the bar, which included a really cute 2-year-old and what appeared to be his 17-year-old mother) and given menus. Before the waitress left, she asked if we'd like anything to drink. It was a cold, dreary night so Ben said, "I'd like hot tea." She apologized and said they didn't have hot tea. Ben asked, "How about unleaded coffee?" to which she sadly shook her head. We decided on water.

When she left, I opened my menu and my eyes were drawn like a magnet to the North Pole to this:


Yes, indeed. Served with the following 2 (two) sides. All 16 of them. Just once I'd like to be able to go out and turn the whole editor thing off, but I fear that's never to be.

To make a long story mercifully short, the food was much better than we expected, and the steak was actually very good. My 2 (two) sides were delicious.

If they stick to cooking they'll be okay.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: