Sunday, December 19, 2010

Let me just tell you how exciting my life is.

I heard a piece on the radio yesterday that talked about the new trend of "self-gifting." First off, when did "gift" become a verb? Is it transitive or intransitive? And secondly, if I buy myself something in July, is it still considered self-gifting? And what makes it a gift as opposed to just something I buy because I feel like it? Don't we have enough trouble with English without making up new terms that are unnecessary?

Anyway, we came home from church today and I spent a few minutes searching the Internet for and then ordering a 3-foot wide dust mop. Try to contain yourself.

A few days ago, realizing that I had no idea how to clean finished wood floors, I stopped in Lowe's and bought a dust mop, because that's what I remember using as a kid. When I got it home and compared it to the amount of wood floor in the house, I knew immediately it wasn't going to work. It was no more than 12 inches wide. So I took it back and ordered a commercial one. And get this: I ordered it Sunday, it will ship Monday, and I'll have it Tuesday!

So if you're in need of a last-minute gift for someone on your list, know that you can "gift" them with a man-size dust mop before Saturday.

In other news, Mike is on his way here right now, flying from Monterey to LA to Houston to DC. In two weeks he will then fly from DC to Houston to LA to Monterey back to LA and then to San Antonio because the Air Force couldn't figure out how to change his ticket and get him from DC to San Antonio. And we used to complain about the Navy . . .

We think Deb and David and Sticky Bean and Button are on their way here too, but there's no telling because they're not answering text messages. I guess we'll find out at 2 am when Pete starts his incessant barking.

What about you? Do you have people coming for the holidays?

And on that note, I'll go continue the cleaning and rearranging of bedrooms.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: