Wednesday, January 27, 2010
It's the Random Dozen. And I made it before midnight!
This week's edition of the Random Dozen, brought to you by Linda, who weekly bails us all out of the dreaded what-do-I-write-about day.
1. How good are you at delaying gratification?
Pretty good. I just remind myself of the tuition bills that are coming and I can walk away from just about anything.
2. Maybe a marshmallow wouldn't be too difficult a temptation for you. What food (or anything else) would be most tempting?
Chocolate cake. Or a hot brownie with French vanilla ice cream. Or a slice of Vesuvio's pizza. Or maybe a piece of Mueller's crumb cake. Or a vanilla latte. Dude, my mouth is watering!
3. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being saintly) how patient are you?
I'm going to be very bold here and give myself at least an 8. I am among the most patient people I know. Until the dog rubs up against my black yoga pants when I'm walking out the door to the gym. Then I might go a little ballistic.
4. Have you ever waited for something in life only to be disappointed upon realization of the goal/object/etc.?
Nothing that I can think of. Maybe a few insignificant things (like the pepper grinder), but nothing that matters in the scheme of things. It's all about attitude and thankfulness.
5. Are you a person who takes shortcuts?
Only in the small things, and then only sometimes. I've learned that the only kitchen shortcut worth taking is Eggo waffles. The homemade ones just stink. Everything else is better made from scratch. I can't think of any other area of life in which I take shortcuts. So I guess, no.
6. Which line is hardest to wait in?
The one that's supposed to be fast. The self-checkout line that can't read the UPC on your bread. Or the express lane for people with ten items or fewer (that's another post in itself) where there's a person with eleven items, one of which has no UPC on it, and we can't just take her word that it's $5.98. We must page someone, anyone, in that department, wait for said person to call the register, describe the item in question, and THEN find out that, well-can-you-believe-that, it's $5.98, just like she said.
7. Did you wait to discover the gender of your unborn child until its birth?
Yes, with all but the second one. I just knew the first one was a girl (that's Mike), I found out with the second one (that's Deborah), I had no idea with the third one (that's Leah), I really felt like the fourth one was a girl (that's Abbie), and I absolutely knew the last one was a boy (that's Elijah).
8. Are you more patient with children or the elderly?
Definitely the elderly. Children are supposed to be trained, so I guess my impatience is with their parents, not the children themselves. At least the elderly have an excuse.
9. Did you ever sneak a peek at a present?
Maybe when I was little. I don't really remember.
10. What is the longest you've ever waited for anything?
I'm still waiting, but the older I get, the less important it becomes.
11. Who has more patience, you or your significant other?
Ben has more patience in certain circumstances, but I'd say overall I have more.
12. Which of the following songs about waiting is your pick for the best? (OK, you may substitute another, if you like.)
I'll pick my own:
What a day that will be
When my Jesus I shall see
When I look upon his face
The one who saved me by his grace
When he takes me by the hand
And leads me through the promised land
What a day, glorious day, that will be!
Be thankful ~