Friday, December 11, 2009

Karate and poetry, all in one post.

Well, I'm not getting my funky chair. I'm consoling myself by saying it was probably from the house of a smoker or the cats slept on it or something.

I have my computer set up to play a slide show of all the pictures that are on it instead of going to a screen saver. Most of what's on this computer are pictures Abbie and the man-boy took in Romania when they were there in the summer of 2008. Some of them are cute, others are interesting, but this one made me laugh right out loud.


That's Abbie and a Romanian girl with coneheads, and Evan getting ready to karate-chop them off. This is what our children do on mission trips—break language barriers and have deep, spiritual discussions.

I just spent a half hour on the phone with Abbie talking about her final paper for English. She has to write a poetry explication. Sounds like surgery, and it might be just as painful. She chose this one by Robert Frost:

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
 
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. 
 
I love this poem. What really struck me about this is that the title sounds so carefree and happy, but then the poem is full of darkness. So what do you think it means?


Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: