Tuesday, December 22, 2009

In which there was NO mention of snow.

My van is stuck sort of cock-eyed at the end of my driveway. I won't say why. Mike was late for work this morning, because we had no end of trouble getting his car out. I won't say why, but I was standing up to my butt in it digging his wheels out. The dog is stir-crazy, no amount of fire makes it warm in my house, and every once in a while I hear a loud WHOOSH of something sliding off my roof. I won't go into the cause of these things, but you know why. I'm just not saying it. I'm sick of dealing with it, sick of driving in it, sick of walking in it, VERY sick of shoveling it, and definitely sick of thinking about it. So there.

OK, I'm done complaining.

I did get laundry done and the house vacuumed, so that's a good thing. Paid the bills, ordered a replacement for the TV remote that died (can you imagine getting up off the couch to change channels and turn up the volume? I feel like Laura Ingalls!), bought the geometry program on DVD since the VCR bit the dust yesterday, and worked a few hours. And I wrote a short piece about camping for an upcoming Molly's Money-Saving Digest. It's actually a compilation of this post and this one. It was supposed to be no more than 350 words, but, honestly, I just can't make myself shut up. I wrote over 500. Then pared it down to 450, then 400, and finally wound up at 387. It's like a bad haircut. You keep cutting and it just doesn't get any prettier.

While I was out today, I stopped at my local Tar-zhay for a few things and made a startling discovery. You know how "they" always say that when a big storm is coming, people go to the store for bread, milk, and toilet paper? Well, in Northern Virginia, the list of storm staples apparently includes frozen pizza. For real! I walked down the frozen foods aisle and, along with a noticeable lack of Eggo waffles (due to a national shortage), there was a distinct dearth of frozen pizzas. Surely, I have never seen the pizza freezer looking so sad. Who knew I was this ill-prepared? I'm making a mental note for the future.

Tomorrow it's back to business as usual, which unfortunately includes a lot of shoveling.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: