Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Food makes me happy. Easy Shepherd's Pie.

I wrote a long rant about the rampant abuse of the English language today and the apathy toward its preservation, then came back an hour later and deleted it. I didn't think all two of you should be subjected to my frustrations.

So I walked away and made some homemade rolls, oatmeal raisin cookies, and tortellini carbonara for supper, went for a walk, and I'm feeling better. Cooking is therapeutic. Walking just makes the dog tired.

I think I can manage something slightly positive now.

And since we're on such a good cooking roll, I'm going to share my recipe for Easy Shepherd's Pie, as written to my dear daughter Deb this morning. If I were a good blogger I would have pictures, but I don't, so come to your own conclusion.

Easy Shepherd’s Pie

2 lbs ground beef (or lamb or venison or a mixture. Sometimes I even used ground
chicken when Abbie is here.)
A couple of carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 can beef broth
2 tbs flour
2 tbs butter
Worcestershire sauce
Frozen peas
Frozen corn

Potatoes plus seasonings to make mashed potatoes

In large skillet, brown beef, and season with salt and pepper. When it’s almost done, throw in onions and carrots. Continue to cook until crisp-tender.

In a small saucepan, melt 2 tbs butter, stir in 2 tbs flour. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until thickened. Pour in skillet with meat mixture, and stir in peas and corn. Let it all get hot.

Dump filling in 13x9 pan and top with lots of mashed potatoes (I think I used 9 or 10 good-sized potatoes. I use butter, salt and pepper, and onion powder in them.).

Bake at 375 until hot and bubbly.

And since the oatmeal cookies were so spectacular, I'll share the recipe. It's here.

So now you have no excuse not to make a yummy dinner.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: