Friday, November 28, 2008

Some things I am not.

1. Shopping today. I was sorely tempted by an advertised HP laptop at Office Depot for $350, but I got hold of myself in the nick of time and was able to resist. I was never happier about that decision than when I cracked one eye open at 6 am and realized I was still snug under my electric blanket. I thought of all the poor souls who had been standing in freezing cold lines for three hours and was very sure I'd done the right thing.

2. Hungover. From food, that is. Most years, the day after Thanksgiving I wake up with what we call a "food hangover" - you know, that sick feeling that results from eating a week's worth of calories and a month's worth of pie in one day. I determined I wasn't going to do that this year, and I was successful. I ate one modest plateful of food, and ended with a sliver of pumpkin pie and one of cheesecake. And since we ate early in the day, we had a family turkey-sandwich-party at the kitchen counter last night before bed.

3. Looking forward to a long winter. I am very much a summer person. I love the sunshine, love the warm weather, the beach, and the long days. I have SAD - seasonal affective disorder - you know that thing where the short days make you depressed. Maybe I could get a prescription for a beach house on the Emerald Coast. Seriously, that is my favorite place to be. But the good news is that we are putting our woodstove in either today or tomorrow, so at least we won't be shivering under blankets while our central draft runs non-stop anymore.

OK, I can't think of anything else that I am not. I AM a lot of things, but I'll save them for another day. Stay safe out there.

Be thankful ~

Karen

ps. Winston is still alive.

No comments: