Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I would like to use my red pencil on MS Word 2007 and send it back to Bill Gates.

Remember that post about the busy weekend that I said I would put up here yesterday afternoon? Well, forget it. It will appear at some point, but I have no idea when that will be.

Right now I am working on an editing evaluation, sort of a test to see if I am smart enough to do a little editing, and I'm not so sure about this. I'm trying to "keep the writer's voice" while making the writing sound good and be grammatically correct, and that's a lot harder than it appears. My tendency is to completely rewrite a sentence or paragraph, but then I lose the writer's voice, so I go back to square one and change only what's necessary and spend a half hour second-guessing myself because I'm such a perfectionistic lunatic.

*sigh*

Last night I decided I would sit here and play around with MS Word Markup. I looked at a few tutorials and wondered why they didn't seem to match what I saw on my Word document. That's when I realized that I have Word 2007, and the tutorials are for 2002 and 2003. So I went hunting for a 2007 tutorial and couldn't find one. I fiddled with the program for over an hour before Ben came along and offered to help. It took the two of us thirty more minutes to figure out how to make a line through a word, and that happened by accident. Am I the only one who wonders why Microsoft felt the need to change a perfectly usable program?

But that was late at night and now it's a new day, and you know what they say - things always look better in the morning.

So I'll keep plugging along, playing with Markup, and learning things by accident. In the meantime, if you know anything about Microsoft's latest version of Word, feel free to share your knowledge.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: