Friday, October 31, 2008

A funny and a pretty.

Although this has nothing to do with today's post, I have to share. This post really made me laugh today.

On to the subject of the day.

In the interest of celebrating a holiday (not necessarily the one that is today), I thought I'd share the story of a random houseplant.

It was left behind by the people who sold us this house. I had no idea what it was, but it seemed happy in front of the dining room window, so I left it there and gave it a little water every once in a while. For the most part I ignored it. Then one day in early November I realized there were little buds at the ends of the stems. I watched in fascination over the next few days as the tiny buds became lovely, salmony-pink flowers. I was amazed! I described it to my mother over the phone and she told me it was probably a Christmas cactus.

And sure enough, here it is, still blooming faithfully every late October/early November.

I've heard there's a way to make it bloom in December, I just don't have the heart to banish it to a dark closet for a few months. And who cares when it blooms, right? It's happy.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: