Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In my next life I'm coming back as a bird.

I'm re-reading The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman which is a pretty interesting book. I read it many years ago and thought it was good and applicable, then promptly forgot about it.

Then last week Ben and I had a discussion wherein I said, "I think we speak two totally different languages," and that book popped into my head again. So I'm re-reading it, and I'm more convinced now that we speak different languages.

What's most interesting is that I try to communicate with him in MY preferred language instead of in HIS preferred language. I guess that's to be expected, since that's what comes naturally to me and what's easiest for me. And then I get frustrated with him when he doesn't understand me.

Duh. We need the gift of interpretation.

In other news, not that my reading of an old book is news, but we have to fill this blank space with something and you just happen to be here spending your valuable time reading it. Anyway, I did finally get my no-line progressive-lens bifocals and while I don't love them, I don't hate them either.

You just have to get used to the fact that, if you want to look at your feet, you have to bend your neck forward at a 90 degree angle to look out the top of your lenses, something that's probably not an easy feat for the most flexible twenty year old, let alone a middle-aged housewife. Makes painting the toenails difficult. If I could get my feet closer to my eyes it would be easy. But seriously, at 47 how much of a pretzel can I be? And since I can't get my toes close enough to see out the bifocal part of the glasses, I have to bend my neck at a ninety to see out the top part. Are you getting a visual? It's not pretty.

And since the focus blurs at the sides of the glasses, you can't just nonchalantly glance to your right or left. You turn your head. Like an owl. Yeah. I should be wearing a sign that says, "I am attractive in my new bifocals."

So instead of everyone knowing I'm old enough to need advanced vision aids, I attract the attention of bird-lovers everywhere.

Just throw me a mouse.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: