Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Dad's buddy Jack.

Every once in a while I have a pseudo-brush with fame, most of them very remote. Yesterday was one of those times.

Abbie, Elijah and I went to visit my parents who live about 2 hours from us. We were sitting around the table eating pizza for lunch and I was telling Mom and Dad about my recent high school reunion. Dad knew all the people I went to school with since he was the high school's chemistry and physics teacher.

Mom and Dad went to nearby Manasquan (NJ) High School back in the early 50's and Dad was telling us how he had stopped by the old school for a look-see when they were in New Jersey recently. He told how he walked down the halls thinking things hadn't changed a bit and then came to the auditorium. In his high school days, Dad had participated in a few plays and musicals and such. Above the auditorium doors it said in large letters, "Jack Nicholson Auditorium."

I thought, "Oh how nice. They named the auditorium for a famous actor to encourage the kids."

But no. Dad told us that Jack had gone to school with him, and graduated the year after he did.

Here's what the Internet Movie Data Base has to say about it, just in case you think I'm full of stuffin':

Graduate of Manasquan High School, Manasquan, New Jersey, where he was voted "Class Clown" by the Class of 1954.

I asked Dad if he hung around with Jack in school and he said, "No. I didn't want to get in trouble." Apparently Mr. Nicholson wasn't the most studious guy in the school and didn't have such a hot reputation. He said, "You know that character he played in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? He wasn't acting." But Jack did show up for his 50th reunion in 2004. Can you imagine?

Anyway, they named the auditorium after him because he gave a large sum of money to the school for a really high-tech lighting system.

So there you have it - my vicarious excitement for the day. Enjoy!

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: