Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Physics, the homeschooling way.

Today Elijah and I were on our way home from the orthodontist, who just happens to be 2 1/2 hours away. Yes, we really love him.

Anyway, these long trips every six weeks give us a lot of time to talk. Sometimes we have so much time that we run out of things to talk about, so we endure some silences. In the middle of one of those quiet times today, Elijah asked, "Did I get you?"

I had no idea what he was talking about.

He explained, "When Abbie had rubber bands (on her braces) she used to flick spit at me. I'm trying to figure out how to do it so I can get her back.

I was speechless.

Finally, I blurted out, "EEEWWWWW! That's nasty!!" and we went back to silence.

After thinking for a few minutes, I added, "You have to pull it back with your tongue and make it snap out. The spit will go in the direction of the snap. And I can't believe I just told you that."

But I'm comforted that at least we had an educational discussion - you know, the physics of snapping spit at your sister. We embrace our opportunities around here, you know.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: