Saturday, May 17, 2008

Everything but the kitchen sinkhole.

In no particular order, the news of the day. Such as it is.

1. Bluebirds are building a nest in the bluebird box out front. Try to contain your excitement. That's significant because in the three years we've been here, we've only had one pair take up residence in one of our boxes (we have two). Last year I spent several weeks watching a pair of birds make a nest in the box out front, incubate and hatch the eggs, feed the babies and fledge them. At the very end, one of my kids informed me they were not bluebirds but titmice. I felt ripped off. And blind. And squirrels ate through half of the backyard box so the bluebirds won't use it. As if I don't have enough of my OWN home repairs.

2. We are going to the wedding of a girl in our Sunday School class today. Yesterday I went to the church to pick Abbie up and snuck a peek in the gym, where the reception will be held. It's amazing what you can do with linen! The tables AND chairs are all covered with white linen, with big red bows around the backs of the chairs. I'll try to get a picture of it today. It will be lovely, I'm sure.

3. We live near King's Dominion in Virginia. Mike's crew is constructing the outbuildings around the new roller coaster, The Dominator. For some reason, he's excited about that. Maybe he'll get the first ride?

4. I'm having a bad hair week. I don't know why I felt the need to share that bit of information, but there it is. Do with it what you will.

5. We have a rather large sinkhole in the backyard (you knew I'd get around to sinkholes, didn't you?), right next to the deck. It's about 3 feet in diameter, and a foot deep so far. I wonder if it's related to all the rain we've had this year. I hope it doesn't suddenly give way, because it would take the deck with it, sort of like this house in Maryland, where the backyard suddenly sunk 10 feet. It's the suddenly part that makes me nervous. I'll refrain from telling you it gives me a sinking feeling.

So that's that. It's not much but at least there are no disasters this week.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: