Sunday, March 2, 2008

My geekness shines through.

I am SO excited!

Tuesday, March 4 is National Grammar Day. Do you hear me, people? That is like National Zippo-lighter Day for pyromaniacs! This day is near and dear to my heart and I can't believe I just found out about it. You can read more details here, and even buy a t-shirt to commemorate the day.

Why have a National Grammar Day you ask? In answer, I share this quote from their website:

We owe much to our mother tongue. It is through speech and writing that we understand each other and can attend to our needs and differences. If we don't respect and honor the rules of English, we lose our ability to communicate clearly and well. In short, we invite mayhem, misery, madness, and inevitably even more bad things that start with letters other than M. (Seriously—sort of. But it is true that misplaced commas have cost companies millions of dollars. Murderers have been identified based on idiosyncratic grammar errors. And even the oft-maligned semicolon has changed the outcome of court cases.)

And what can I do to celebrate? Have a good-grammar potluck!


What do you serve at good-grammar potlucks? High-fiber foods, of course. They're good for the colon.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. But seriously, what better reason to celebrate an otherwise mundane Tuesday?

I'm starting my party-planning right now.

Be thankful ~

Karen

1 comment:

Mostly Sunny said...

At the private school where I first taught Kindergarten, I had the "honor" of being called the Grammar Police. The teachers meant it as a tease, but I relished the title! :)