Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Good news on the financial front!

Let me begin by giving you the short version of my family with regards to vision therapy.

Abbie couldn't read at age 10. Had her tested, went through several months of in-office vision therapy and she could read. Then Elijah was found to have the same problems around age 13 and used the Home Therapy System. Between these two, vision therapy has cost us well over $3000, none of which is covered by insurance, of course.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Abbie is taking her first college course and started complaining that she couldn't read for more than 20 minutes or so without getting a headache and her eyes swiming around.

God, please have mercy.

She had her regular eye exam, got new glasses for reading, and today met with the vision therapist and started the Home Therapy System. For yet another $300. I keep reminding myself that reading is a fundamental skill that is necessary for success in life, so this is all money well-spent.

Then a few days ago, Elijah was amazed that I had finished a book I was reading in just a few days. His comment was, "Man, if I could read that fast, I'd read ALL THE TIME!"

Well, let me tell you, that was a GIANT RED FLAG. But at the same time, I was seeing dollar signs flashing before my eyes. Repeat reminder.

So today I asked Colleen, the vision therapist, about Elijah and we shared ideas for a few minutes. I worked up the courage to ask if I would have to buy the Home Therapy System again and she said, "Oh, no! I'll just call HTS and have them re-activate his program. I can do that today, if you want."

Glory to God! $300 may not sound like much to you, but with three in college and one already doing Home Therapy, that 300 is a huge gift!

*Breathing a sigh of relief.*

Be thankful ~

Karen

2 comments:

Eleanor Joyce said...

It's never ending, isn't it? And let's not even talk about orthodontics. You didn't miss anything - I just realized that there is no contact information on my blog. Gotta fix that somehow.
It's eleanor dot joyce at hotmail dot com.

Modlmy said...

Mommy! I have a google blog now! My other one was giving me fits so I figured being on the same one as you and Abbie couldn't be so bad:-) I can't figure out how to put links in mine to your blog like you have to other ones though, so how exactly do you do that? Love you!