Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Yesterday we had such a great day in DC. Took the metro in and stopped first at Arlington National Cemetery. I can't believe I've never gone there. It really is a huge place, but it was a lovely day so we didn't mind the walking. We saw the Tomb of the Unknowns, watched the changing of the guard there - did you know they pace 21 steps, turn, pause 21 seconds, then pace 21 steps back? And did you know the guard is there 24/7, 365 days a year? - saw the mast from the USS Maine - the one that exploded and sank in Havana Harbor and that was the beginning of the Spanish American war - and saw Audie Murphy's grave - one of the most decorated American veterans ever, fought in WWII. The whole thing was pretty cool. Then we went on into the city, had lunch in the Old Post Office, and headed over to the Holocaust Memorial Museum. This is pretty new and is the best Smithsonian museum I've been to yet. We spent hours there, and could have stayed much longer. You really should go, and if you come, call me and I'll meet you there. It was wonderful and sobering at the same time.

So now you have a great reason to come to DC and meet me!

Be thankful ~

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to DC in June/July 2001 with my great grandma. My relatives used to live in Richmond and my uncle (or something...it's too hard figuring out the different relations in my family) worked at the Pentagon. His office was right next to where the plane crashed into it in September '01.

-Coie