Friday, May 3, 2013

Things I learned today.

Every day is a learning experience, isn't it?

1. Market Pantry, the Target brand, has changed the recipe for their regular animal crackers. Their chocolate/vanilla combo animal crackers have been my favorite for a long time. They are the perfect carbs-with-no-nutritional-value snack to go with my afternoon coffee. And now they're nasty. It's so sad.

2. I can't remember the last time I used PowerPoint, but this week I've been working on my final project for the class I'm in, an educational research proposal. In PowerPoint. Stick a fork in my eye. I've struggled and groaned and Googled everything to death, and finally got all the content on the slides. Then came the references, which have to be in APA format. I had them all neatly set up in a Word doc, so I happily clicked copy, then went back to PP and clicked paste, thinking it would neatly roll over to the next 4 or 5 slides (there are 19 references).

No. PowerPoint has to be different. So there are my 19 references, all on one slide, in 3-pt. font. Get your microscopes, people.

Commence cutting and pasting. Get them spread somewhat evenly over five slides. Now go back and format: double spaced, hanging indent, all the same font size. Can we do that? No. The only way to change font size in PP is to change the size of the text box.

Okay, I can do this. Get the first four slides in 15-pt. One more to go. Can I get the last one in 15? No. It's 13. Make the text box a hair bigger. Oops, now it's 17. Make it juuuuuust a taaaaaad smaller . . . back to 13.

Isn't this fun?

3.  My memory gets worse with every passing day. Today is Button's second birthday. Did I remember? No. Bad Grammy. It's time to go book shopping.

4. Also related to #3, if you've ever taken an online class, you know all about Discussion Board. The instructor poses a question, you respond to it, and then you respond to one or two of your classmates' responses. It's supposed to mimic in-class discussions. Anyway, I remembered today that I still lack two responses to other people's responses. But at least I remembered.

Be thankful ~

No comments: