Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I know why there are not more teachers.

I may have mentioned that I'm looking into master's programs online. The one I like best (and will probably do) is with Liberty University Online. Because they don't get enough of my money.

This week I'm trying to get all the paperwork done: the transcripts, the application, the FAFSA, the DD214 and marriage certificate (to prove I'm a military spouse), and the fingerprinting. Yes, you read that right.

Because it's a master's in education, I have to submit to a background check, a child abuse check, and fingerprinting by the FBI.

To start this process, you click the innocent-looking link at Liberty's website. You fill out the questionnaire, pay your $57, and submit.

A few days later you receive a packet in the mail. You fill out those forms according to very strict instructions. DO NOT LEAVE ANY QUESTION BLANK. IF IT DOES NOT PERTAIN TO YOU, YOU MUST WRITE N/A IN THE BLANK. Then you sign that form in the presence of a notary public and mail it to the address specified in the instructions.

Two days later you receive a second packet. You begin to fear going to the mailbox. This packet contains instructions, two forms, and a fingerprint card. You fill out and sign the first form. You fill out the second form in the presence of a notary public. PLEASE NOTE: THE FBI WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY SUBMISSIONS WHOSE EXPIRATION OF COMMISSION IS GOING TO EXPIRE WITHIN 90 DAYS OF SUBMITTING FINGERPRINTING MATERIALS. PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE OF THE PERSON NOTARIZING YOUR FORM.

I asked the lady who was notarizing my form when she planned to expire, and she assured me it would not be within the next 90 days.

Then you take the fingerprint card to the local sheriff's department, where your insane property taxes are not enough to cover this once-in-a-lifetime event, and you must pay $15 to be fingerprinted. But only on Wednesday and Friday from 1 to 4 pm. You realize this is Tuesday. Or you may choose the state police office, which performs this service Monday through Friday for $10.

So you opt for the state police. You make the drive to their local office, and while waiting in line you notice the sign that says FEES FOR FINGERPRINTING MUST BE IN THE FORM OF CASH OR BUSINESS CHECK. NO PERSONAL CHECKS. NO CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS.

Fantastic.

Back in the car. Drive to the bank. Get a $10 bill. Feel special that you have actual cash money in your wallet for the first time since 1982. Back to state police office. Realize that it is now after 5 pm and office is closed.

Hence, the reason we have a nationwide teacher shortage.

Be thankful ~


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to laugh about having money in your wallet! That totally summarizes how I feel. My husband would have me charge a pack of $.25 gum. =) I supposed the Cash Back Bonus has been a blessing these many years.

How exciting for you to return to school. Maybe it's smooth sailing from here on out?