Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thursday thoughts.

Alliteration abounds!

I had no intention of writing a post today, mostly because I did absolutely nothing of consequence. The highlight of my day was when I got to give the class an explanation of why we include Tai Chi in Pitaiyo. It doesn't take much to get me excited. But I'm waiting for Picasa to import all my pictures from iPhoto, and after 10 minutes, it's copied 1610 of 4369, so I have some time to kill.

I came home from the gym and took Pete the Terrible for a walk, and he once again lived up to his name, but that may be due to my hasty decision to run him past the two border collies who have gotten quite mouthy with him in the past, and he mistook my breaking into a run for excitement over the prospect of chewing their snouts off, and he took off too, only in the wrong direction. It's a good thing I had his leash wrapped around my hand four times and the prong collar didn't slip off, and let me tell you, I've never heard my sweet little muffin-cakes snarl so nastily! I've begun to wonder if someone around here didn't cast out a devil and let it take up residence in Pete, like the ones in the Bible went into the herd of swine. If Pete runs off a cliff into the sea, I'll have my answer.

Anyway, I just thought of something noteworthy. (It's all relative, right?)

I grew up on the Jersey shore where we had fresh fish all the time. When I was little though, bluefish was cheap, so that's what we ate a lot of. Have you ever had bluefish? It's the fishiest, gamiest fish God ever made, which is probably why it was so cheap. Anyway, on the rare occasion we got flounder, we thought it was a gift from the seafood gods, and we were thrilled.

Well, for the last couple of years, we've been seriously upgrading the way we eat,  buying only organic beef and eating way more seafood. The fish of choice around here is salmon, but since you can only get so many mortgages on your house, we eat a lot of tilapia. I usually just brush it with melted butter (organic) and sprinkle it with Old Bay Seasoning and bake it at 425° for 12 minutes. DE-LISH!

But last week, both the commissary and Walmart were out of tilapia, and since we can't go a week without fish, I bought flounder. Tonight I cooked it. I also made some jasmine rice and roasted cauliflower and broccoli.

In my own words, that. fish. was. nasty! I can't imagine how I ever begged my mother for it, and I don't even want to think about how horrible bluefish must be if flounder was our preferred poison. Also, the rice was quite crunchy, like I didn't put enough water in it.

The veggies were awesome, and eating a meatless meal once in a while is good, right?

Pete loved the fish. I thought about giving him the rice, but I was afraid it would soak up more liquid in his stomach and he would explode.

Maybe that would solve all our problems . . .

Be thankful ~

No comments: