Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A peek inside Thomas Road.

I've been in Lynchburg for the past few days nursing Abbey back to health. She's been weak, dehydrated, had a severe headache, on two different antibiotics, and last night I actually crushed a bunch of garlic and taped it to the bottoms of her feet before she went to sleep. If you know anything about natural medicine, you know that garlic is the first line of defense against infections. So our hotel room smelled like an Italian grandmother's kitchen. Yum.

Today I finally got her eating some real food. She's a sandwich lover, so she wanted a turkey sandwich from Panera. At lunchtime she ate a half. It took her three and a half hours, and that's no exaggeration. For dinner she wanted the same thing, but ate it in a half hour—vast improvement. AND a pickle. I was amazed.

Then she suggested we go to campus church at Thomas Road, which she normally does on Wednesday nights. And since I'm all about keeping her moving to regain some energy, I said sure. I've heard of Thomas Road Baptist Church for years, but never had the opportunity to go inside. From the outside it doesn't look very big, but then you get inside. We sat in the balcony because Abbey hasn't been feeling well and didn't really want to be in a crowd.  Here's the view from where we sat. The balcony:


Looking down on the main part of the auditorium:


The downstairs was mostly full, the balcony, not so much. The praise band played a few songs, and then Johnnie Moore preached, and it was SO GOOD. I'm really glad we went.

And now we are firmly ensconced in yet another motel watching a really bad episode of American Idol. I haven't watched this show in quite a few years and can't believe how horrific it's gotten. And that's all I'm going to say about it.

Tomorrow Abbey goes back to class and I go home. I'm looking forward to being in my own bed.

Be thankful ~

No comments: