Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Philosophy of the treadmill.

I hear the winter storm is not going to hit us this week and there are not enough words of praise to express how happy I am about that. In fact, it's supposed to be 60° here tomorrow. I'm getting out the flip-flops.

My daughter and son-in-law in Tennessee haven't been so blessed, but at least Sticky Bean has had his first taste of fun in the snow.


Those of you who are facebook friends know that I've been trying to get my middle-aged body in some kind of decent shape before I turn 50 in August. I've been doing Pilates for a little over a year, and then we switched gyms in September. It took me a while to get used to the new place, but eventually I added Strive classes (weight lifting mixed with cardio) three times a week. When I first started, I couldn't even lift enough weight to break a sweat, but persistence pays off and I can feel that I'm getting stronger.

Then two weeks ago, I was complaining about whatever machine I was on and Tony (the guy who runs the class) told me to quit whining. He's a 19-year-old who didn't get spanked enough when he was a kid.

Well. That just ticked me off. There's a sure-fire way to get me motivated, and that's call me a whiner.

So I decided I was going to run. I know plenty of people my age and older who run long distances all the time, so why couldn't I, right?

Someone should have slapped me.

The first day I got on the hamster wheel I could barely run at all. I walked a little, ran a little, walked more, ran less. It was pathetic. I was gasping for breath inside of five minutes. The people at the front desk put 911 on speed dial. The second day was only slightly better. But today was my fourth day and I can tell it's getting just a little easier. I'm still gasping, but my runs are up to 3 minutes, with a little less walking in between. It probably still looks pathetic, but I'm getting there.

I'm learning a lot about perseverance even when it hurts. Knowing it will be a little easier next time makes me willing push harder today. And isn't that the way it is in all of life?

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: