Saturday, March 20, 2010

An update and two grammar lessons.

Well hello! Apparently I have a blog.

Since I can't remember the last time I was here, I'll jump right in with Thursday's happenings, since I have photos to prove (and remind me) what I did.

Abbie and I got up not so bright and early and headed for D.C. Our plan was to see an exhibit of award-winning wildlife photographs at the Museum of Natural History, eat lunch, and come home. We didn't want to get stuck in rush hour traffic coming home. Usually, when we go into the city, we leave home early, drive to Springfield, and get on the Metro. But this day, for whatever reason, we took our time getting out. By the time we got to the Metro station, it was 10 a.m. Knowing there wouldn't be many parking spaces left, we headed for the top deck. When we got there, we found many other cars driving around slowly. There was not ONE space left in the entire garage.

We continued to drive around slowly, up and down levels and rows, trying to figure out what to do. I hate trying to park in the city, and really didn't want to if I could avoid it. But after a solid 20 minutes of driving, we found somebody pulling out and nabbed their parking space. It was a tight squeeze. Where Abbie is standing, there's about 8 inches between our cars.



So we made it to the train, saw the exhibit (awesome!), and then decided it was time for lunch. We called Elijah and had him find us the nearest Chipotle, which was about 8 or 9 blocks away in Chinatown. Mexican food. In Chinatown.



Somewhere along the way we stopped to use a rest room and spotted this sign:



Yes, I'm weird and I take pictures of incorrect punctuation. (FYI, ellipsis points are supposed to have spaces before, after, and between, like this: . . . rather than this: ...   See the difference?)

Friday we spent the morning at home. I worked at my desk with my French doors wide open to the beautiful sunshine and warm air. Abbie worked on an art project for school:



In the afternoon I went for an eye exam. The short story is that my eyes are worse, I'm getting new glasses, and my wallet is $450 lighter. And that's AFTER insurance. But boy, won't it be nice to see?

Friday night and all day Saturday we spent at the Capital Area Singles Conference in Fairfax. (Another FYI: Capital refers to the seat of government; D.C. is the nation's capital. Capitol refers to the building in which the houses of Congress meet.) Had great meals, heard great preaching (Dr. Jeff Redlin from somewhere in Colorado), played great games. We're all exhausted.

And my brain has officially shut down. Good night.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: