Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I am the Thanksgiving anti-stereotype.

I did not eat too much turkey (although we deep-fried four of them). I did not OD on pie or cheesecake or homemade fudge. I didn't even eat any gravy. I did not face two refrigerators full of leftover stuffing and sweet potato casserole. And I did not leave my house on Black Friday, hallelujah, glory to God.

It was close, though. We got up Friday morning and found a distinct lack of International Delight French Vanilla coffee creamer in both refrigerators. It was not a joyful realization. The children were willing to do without coffee (does that mean I've failed as a mother?). I was willing to dump a spoonful of sugar in it and suffer it down. But my hero, who just days earlier hauled my well pump up and down 330 feet three times and restored running water a mere 12 hours before our 23 guests arrived for the Thanksgiving feast, went to the grocery store for my morning happiness. I talked him into going to Food Lion rather than Wal-Mart, knowing the madhouse that WM would be. Unfortunately, FL doesn't carry International Delight French Vanilla coffee creamer in anything larger than a pint bottle, so that's what he got. Divide one pint by four people and three days, and by Monday you have none. We will be going to Wal-Mart tomorrow, where they sell it in half-gallons.

Deb, David, and Sticky Bean drove home today, Abbie is back at school, Ben, Mike, and Leah went back to work, and that left Elijah and me at home with no choice but to vacuum up the week's worth of dog hair, put the house back together, and do school. Add to that 4 1/2 hours of editing, four loads of laundry, and a big pot of homemade spaghetti sauce, and you have my day. I'm ready for bed. Gotta get my energy up for the Wal-Mart trip.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: