Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Random Dozen, and just in the nick of time.

Oh, I'm so glad for a list of questions to answer. For some reason (it can't be menopause—I'm still in denial about that, so it can't affect me), my brain is, um, sluggish tonight. I'm taking my chances (or you're taking your chances) with some of these, but here goes the Weekly Random Dozen:




1. It's early morning, about 2:00AM, and you're driving home. You come to a red light and sit there. There is no one in sight for miles around. Do you wait it out or run the light?

Absolutely wait it out. I don't have it in me to drive through a red light. Seriously, I would be horrified with myself and wouldn't be able to sleep. So why is it so easy to drive 70 in a 55?

2. If you had the chance to re-do the last 24 hours, would you change anything?

I would hug the man-boy when I dropped him off at his friend's house to go to a soccer tournament in Tennessee. Yes, I forgot to hug my own kid. I did, however, remember to hug his friend's mom. I told you my brain was sluggish. It took me five hours to realize I hadn't hugged him or said goodbye. Good thing we have cell phones. (((((man-boy)))))


3. When you reply to someone's comment on your blog, do you reply in your comments or go to her blog and comment? (Or email her)

I usually email. But sometimes I reply in my comments, under hers. I don't know what it depends on. The weather?

4. Your favorite Disney movie is:

Finding Nemo. I can so relate to Dory, but also to Mr. Ray, singing about the layers of sea. And the turtles. And the sharks!


5. Do you recycle?

Newspapers, yes. Nothing else. Probably because newspapers are easy to bundle in brown bags and plastic and glass are not. I'm just lazy that way.

6. Games of strategy or games of chance?

Strategy, but not much of it. A little rummy, maybe some Catch Phrase. Games of chance just don't do anything for me. They're too . . . chancy, and I'm not a risk taker. Although every time I pass the billboard that says how many millions are up for grabs in the Powerball thingy, I plan how I would spend it. I have no idea how to buy a ticket, but it would be fun to win it.  

7. Do you have any recurring dreams?

At night while I'm sleeping, you mean? No. Daydreams, definitely. The combination of chemistry, geometry, laundry, and hours of computer work brings on intense longing for sunny beaches.


8. What did you learn from your first real job?

Not to prop a tray full of clean glasses against the counter with my hip. Yes, I did. And didn't get fired.


9. Do you buy or borrow most books?

Borrow. I love the public library, and the one we have here is the best. I can sit at home and browse the catalog online, order what I want, pick it up when they let me know it's there, renew on my computer, it's awesome. I bought a lot of the kids' books when they were younger, because I knew I would have five children reading them, but for me, I'm too cheap.


10. What fashion trend of the past did you say you'd never wear again but did?

Crocs. I had a pair when they first became popular and loved them. Since I have bunions, my forefoot is wide and I can't ever wear shoes "off the rack." They have to be wide-width shoes, which are not easy to find, by a longshot. I looked in every shoe store in my area this fall and couldn't find anything to wear with jeans for the winter. I bought fur-lined Crocs and they are incredible. Like wearing my bedroom slippers. And yes, they look like it, but I don't care. I'm comfortable, and some things in life are just more important. My feet need to be happy.

11. When do you start Christmas shopping?

I plead the Fifth.

12. Have you ever been so happy that you literally jumped up and down for a few seconds? If so, what was the occasion?

When I was a kid (11, 12, etc.), my parents were both public school teachers. The whole family had summers off. So they bought a camper and we traveled the country every year for 2 1/2 months seeing all the things most people only dream of. I've literally seen every state in the union, except for Alaska and Hawaii, and spent a good deal of time in most of them. One year toward the end of summer, my dad announced that it was time to head for home. I was glad, and actually turned a cartwheel in the parking lot where we were getting gas.


Now I wonder what was wrong with me? I would give a lot to be able to do that again.

And thus concludes our weekly meme.These questions brought to you by 2nd Cup of Coffee. Thanks, Linda, for providing blog fodder when I need it most.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: