Monday, December 15, 2008

I need a recovery night.

My, I've been busy. The life of a working mom is crazier than I thought it would be, but not because of family obligations. No, the children and husband all help with cleaning, laundry, dishes, no, it's not the household stuff that's troublesome.

It's my brain. I do things to myself that cause undue stress, so that I lay my head on the desk and almost cry. Let me explain.

I have been working on editing a 104 page document since last Tuesday. I figured out the program and had a merry time of it until today when I got to the epilogue. The author included on the last four pages 24 quotes from various places in the document. Some of which I had already edited. And now I had to make them all match. Can you see where this is going?

I envisioned myself searching 100 pages of text for a particular quote, making the appropriate changes so they matched, and on to the next one. 24 times.

I was sick. I sat in disbelief that it was really happening. But then I decided that, well, this was what I signed up for, and I would just work like crazy and get it done.

I moved on to the endnotes and would do the quotes last.

Then I had an epiphany. A flash of brilliance (well, maybe only 60 watts, but for me, it was a flash)!

I remembered. . . FIND!!!!

There's a function that lets you type a phrase and click "find next" and it FINDS IT FOR YOU!!!! Hallelujah and glory to GOD!! I was never so thankful for the geeks at Microsoft!

In 15 minutes I had found all the quotes, edited them all to match, and saved the whole thing.

Right now the house is empty. The children have all gone out, Ben is still at work, and I am suddenly exhausted. They say this happens after an adrenaline rush.

Who says editing is boring?

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: