Thursday, August 21, 2008

The great before and after. And don't you forget it.

Today my buddy came to visit. I was happy because he makes me laugh. When he got here, he walked in, kicked off his flip-flops and headed for the sunroom and his favorite toy. He sat on the couch playing and talking to the dog for a few minutes, then got up, stood in the doorway, and let out a blood-curdling cry that wouldn't end. I wondered if he was going to come up for air.

I ran to him, thinking he had been stung by a bee or some equally awful fate and asked him what happened.

He screamed, "Aaaahhhhh waaa baaaaaaaaeeeeeee!"

Me: What?????

Bailor, still screaming: Aaaaahhhhh waaaaaaaaaaaa baaaaaaeeeeeeee!

I couldn't find any injuries and had no idea what the nervous breakdown was about, so I asked one more time for information regarding his disturbed state.

He repeated himself with gusto and I finally got it. He wanted his blankie.

Cheerful as ever, I said, "Oh, you can have your blankie when Mommy gets home. Let's go get Abbie's blankie," to which he replied, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I tried my best persuasive techniques to convince him that Abbie's blankie was A-one, nice and soft, sweet-smelling, to no avail. The meltdown continued.

At which point I phoned his house and shouted, "Someone brought this child over here without his blankie and he is coming unglued! Will you please bring it to me???"

They could hear him screaming from next door. Within 30 seconds Ashton and Elijah were coming in the front door with the day's salvation.

Before blankie:

After blankie:

The moral of the story?

Don't leave home without it.

Be thankful ~

Karen

No comments: