Saturday, January 24, 2015

And also the roast chicken recipe.

Mix together in a small bowl:

1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Rinse two whole roasting chickens. (Fryers work, but roasters are better. I don't know why.) Rub them inside and out with the dry rub and put them in a roasting pan with sides. This is important because they'll make a lot of juice. Stuff half a peeled onion in each one.

Bake at 250° for 5 hours, uncovered. I know it sounds like a long time, but trust me. These are even better if you have foresight and rub them the night before. When I do this, I put them in the roasting pan, all ready to put in the oven, and cover tightly with plastic wrap, and put them in the fridge overnight. 

If your family is like mine, they will stand around the bar in the kitchen and tear into the birds, thus saving yourself the trouble of setting the table and cleaning up a bunch of dishes. The leftovers (if there are any) make great enchiladas and all sorts of other casseroles. I always cook two at a time so I have some extra. Amen.

No comments: